Portability (Housing Choice Voucher Program)

This page provides information on porting your voucher into SHA or out of SHA.

SHA is currently billing (not absorbing) until further notice. This is subject to change at any time.

port in.PNG

Port-Ins  (Porting into SHA)

To port into SHA, you will need to submit the following information to your current Housing Authority:

SHA's Mailing Address
Salem Housing Authority
360 Church St SE
Salem, Oregon 97301

Portability Specialist
Kelly Baker
Phone: (503) 587-4808
E-mail: kbaker@cityofsalem.net
Fax: (503) 588-6465

Your current Housing Authority must fax, email, or mail your portability documentation prior to your arrival in the Salem area. No hand-delivered documents will be accepted.

Please allow 14 days for reviewing of documents and scheduling your attendance to a briefing.

port out.PNG

Port-outs (Porting from SHA to another area)

Under SHA policy, port-outs are allowed after the first year on the Section 8 HCV program. 

If neither the head of household nor the spouse/co-head of an applicant family had a domicile (legal residence) in SHA’s jurisdiction at the time that the family’s initial application for assistance was submitted, the family must lease a unit within SHA’s jurisdiction for at least 12 months before requesting portability.

It is the client's responsibility to contact and determine which Housing Authority they are electing to port to (the "receiving Housing Authority").

To begin the port-out process, contact your Housing Specialist.

Photo by Licec/iStock / Getty Images
Photo by Licec/iStock / Getty Images

Moving within SHA's Jurisdiction

You do not need to port your voucher if you are a current SHA client and want to move within SHA's jurisdiction: Salem, West Salem, and Keizer.

Moves are prohibited within the first year on the Section 8 HCV program. After the first year, to begin the move process, contact your Housing Specialist.